Lead Scientist: Food Science and Processing
CHICAGO, IL | PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT | FULL-TIME
Aqua Cultured Foods is an innovative food technology company disrupting the alternative protein space with the world’s first whole-muscle cut seafood alternative created through the process of microbial fermentation. Our novel technology produces a sustainable complete protein source using only a fraction of the resources required by traditional agriculture. As our global challenges with overfishing, climate change and feeding the world’s expanding population grows, our mission is to create delicious, nutrient-rich foods to feed our growing population and protect our oceans.
We’re looking for a passionate, driven and ambitious Lead Food Scientist to join our team.
The successful candidate will be an engaged thought leader to drive food science and technology activities for end-to-end development, bringing new food products from bench-scale to commercial markets. The successful candidate will serve as the resident technical expert of new and emerging food processing technologies to deliver on the food texture, taste and scalability. The candidate will possess deep knowledge of food processing technologies required for alternative meats. The candidate will help identify new and emerging methods of food processing and texturizing techniques that can be applied into alternative protein-based foods. The successful candidate will be instrumental in coordinating cross-functional collaboration with manufacturing, quality and regulatory, and sales. The applicants will be an accomplished scientist with technical and business acumen to drive research projects from ideation to the finish line.
Previous track record of successfully developing and commercializing new products in the alternative protein space is a plus.
This position will report to the CEO.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead and drive all aspects of product development, starting from benchtop to pilot scale, and to full-scale commercialization
- Manage innovation activities and completion of projects within agreed timelines
- Expert in principles of food processing technologies and ability to conceptually and practically integrate into engineering and manufacturing; monitor new developments in food processing technologies
- Provide data-driven insights to solve technical challenges and find the resolution of issues in product formulation, concept prototypes, manufacturing and quality
- Interface with manufacturing and quality teams for new product development and improvement of existing products
- Prepare project proposals, conduct bench-top and pilot plant trial work and analyze and summarize scientific outcomes
- Provide accurate, clear and concise reports on development activities
- Identify, engage and establish internal and external technical collaborations with customers, industry and academic partners
Minimum of a Bachelor in Food Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Food Science, Proteins, Bioengineering or equivalent; Master or PhD is preferred.
- 10+ years of industry or academic research experience in processing, developing and scaling up of packaged food products
- Excellent communication skills and statistical methods that are applied in design of experiments
- Strong interpersonal, influencing and project management skills
- Comfortable working in a start-up environment
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and influence technical direction
- Participation in Employee Stock Ownership Program
- 100% paid employee benefits
- Ability to join a company with an aggressive growth trajectory
If you are interested, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com and for further information about us, take a look at our website: www.aquaculturedfoods.com